Wednesday 23 January 2013

Food, Music, Food, Music, Food, Music... Ad Infinitum

Chestnut and chorizo soup
  The chestnut and chorizo soup from Sam and Sam Clarke's Moro The Cookbook. Photograph: Yuki Sugiura for the Guardian
 
At the moment of writing this post the weather forecast is announcing snow for London. Unsurprisingly, I’m thinking of soup and meat, preferable the latter in the former. So, excuse me my veggies and vegan fellow bloggers, but tonight we’re going for Spanish sausage. I have made a similar dish before but bearing in mind that my youngest is allergic to dairy products and sometimes chorizo has either milk or traces of it, it’s not fair to cook this recipe veru often at home.
 
Chestnut and chorizo

4 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
1 celery stick, diced
120g mild cooking chorizo, cut into 1cm cubes
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tsp ground cumin
1½ tsp fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
2 small dried red chillies, crushed
2 tomatoes, fresh or tinned, roughly chopped
500g cooked peeled chestnuts (fresh or vacuum-packed), roughly chopped
20 saffron threads, infused in 3-4 tbsp boiling water
1 litre water
Salt and black pepper



In a large saucepan heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, chorizo and a pinch of salt and fry for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until everything caramelises and turns brown. Now add the garlic, cumin, thyme and chilli and cook for 1 more minute, followed by the tomatoes and, after about 2 minutes, the chestnuts. Give everything a good stir, then add the saffron-infused liquid, and the water, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and mash until almost smooth but still with a bit of texture. Season with salt and pepper.

Any recipe with chorizo in it is a badass recipe in my book. That’s why I need to open the set tonight with a badass song by a badass singer. I first saw Beth Hart on Jools Holland some months ago and was won over by her passion. Plus she’s an excellent pianist. Great melody and as spicy as my dish tonight. Enjoy.


From Mexico comes a groovy and funky band making a timely political statement. I love the powerful lyrics and the video. Mexican Institute of Sound's Mexico reminds me of those 2 small dried red chillies. They give a bit of a kick to my musical choices tonight. Fresh.



Just like cooking is all about beginnings (the smell of onions, chorizo, carrot and celery is mesmerising) Gomez's How We Operate is all about those first guitar chords. They stay with you long after the song is finished. Just like chestnut and chorizo soup. Magnetic.



Poland gave us the great Chopin and now it gives us Warsaw Village Band's. I love the clip In the Forest and the zany creativity behind it. It’s just like the saffron threads releasing that wonderful aroma once they’re in water. It’s the extra ingredient with the oomph factor. Terrific.



Next Post: "Sunday Mornings: Coffee, Reflections and Music", to be published on Sunday 27th January at 10am (GMT)

18 comments:

  1. Amazing music - thanks for Beth Hart... didn't know her at all!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me la he copiado tiene pinta muy reconfortante, y para estos fríos nos hace falta.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow....really great music....really enjoyed how we operate...and this def sounds like a savory recipe as well....printing it out and putting it on my wifes side of the bed...smiles...or maybe i will make it for her....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The snow is falling here as well. As such, I could go for some of that Spanish sausage. You have me thinking for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chorizo. ..And chestnuts but Im impressed cook together:)
    Normally we make chrizo in tortillas or others but really I m an open mind and always I m happy to tru something new:)
    I think look delicious I love chestnuts:)
    And love blues...

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh nice...and i have to try that recipe...sounds awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice combination of food and music. Two of the great pleasures of life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some great tunes indeed, can't say I was ever big on sausage, but the rest of it sounds good haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could do this with veggie sausages!

    -22 C here this morning, so a warming stew would be nice.

    BTW - do you know you have word verification turned on? It makes it so hard to leave you a comment...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, the cold weather does create a yearning for warm soups and stews! I also suspect that a lot of sausages contain some sort of dairy as my lactose intolerant son indicates that sausage sets him off. So much for labeling disclosure...
    Stay warm, stay cozy and keep on rocking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many thanks for your kind comments. It's freezing over here now.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I much enjoyed Beth Hart - and I'm sure I could enjoy the food! Thanks for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beth Hart is truly amazing...and the recipe sounds delicious!
    Many thanks for this post.

    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This recipe looks fantastic...and it just so happens that I have everything except the peppers....nothing that a stop to the grocery store won't fix! Looking forward to listening to more of your fantastic music pairings....love cooking up a storm to the perfect beat :) enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Many thanks for your kind comments.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have definitely provided us with a banquet here -- not only with food but also with wonderful music. This post filled me up indeed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...