Thursday 28 January 2010

Killer Opening Songs (London Calling by The Clash)

Was 'London Calling' one of the first eco-conscious songs ever? With its talk of 'The ice age is coming, the sun is zooming in/Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin', you could be forgiven for thinking that the mythical The Clash were trying to soundtrack Al Gore's controversial documentary 'An Inconvenient Truth', twenty-seven years before the erstwhile US vice-president set his eyes on the environment.

Or, alternatively you could think that the British band's prescient commentary on climate change was one of its many virtues. After all, The Clash were no ordinary punk outfit.

If truth be told, Killer Opening Songs is the first one to admit that punk did not register highly on his musical radar when he was an adolescent. And neither did it on most of his peers'. Hard, bluesy rock, heavy metal and prog-rock were the staple diet of a section of the Cuban youth of the 80s. Still, a handful of 'friquis' sported mohawks, which identified them as fans of punk. Let us say, also, for the sake of veracity, that, sadly, these Sex Pistols enthusiasts did not go down well at all with the police, resulting in them getting acquainted rather intimately with prison cells.

But back to The Clash and its formidable output. Unlike other punk bands whose approach to music was more DIY, The Clash was made up of very talented musicians: lead vocals and rhythm guitarist Joe Strummer ( John Graham Mellor), lead guitarist and vocals Mick Jones, bass guitarist and vocals Paul Simonon and drummer and percussionist Topper Headon. Also, in contrast with other punk bands, The Clash pursued a more experimental sound based on ska, funk and reggae. Their lyrics, too, were not as anarchic as those by other punk outfits and they carried a heavier dose of idealism mixed with a strong social message. A good example is the Killer Opening Song of their 1979 album 'London Calling', and title track. Using the BBC World Service's station identification as an iterative tool, Strummer delivers a portentous - and what has become in recent years -, timely tale of the effects of what could be 'a nuclear error'. Blended into the song are also references to violence, drugs and punk's fading star.

Though the music is compact and the band sounds pretty tight on this K.O.S., it is Topper Headon who stands out from the outset. The ominous feel is magnified through his military drumming, thus, creating an atmosphere of doom and catastrophe.

Who knows? Maybe Al Gore was tuning in at the time.



Next Post: 'Sunday Mornings: Coffee, Reflections and Music', to be published on Sunday 31st January at 10am (GMT)

14 comments:

  1. The Clash was one of the very first bands I fell in love with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Cuban, prescient of this band. I like Clash more now than I did then, but I was too conservative in my past life. I'm more prepared to explore new music now. Thanks fr the terrific review.

    I can imagine those Cuban punk followers in their prison cells, as you describe. It's a cruel world in some places at some times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. London Calling is one of my favorite albums! When I was living in London in 2004 (before my blog) I emailed home a series of updates and photos to friends and family. I titled the mailing group: London Calling. It is the best song. I’m dancing in my chair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came for a visit and a read, but I am as clever as I was beforehand. I just didn't want to leave without a comment.

    Sorry, never listened to the Clash before and probably won't again. All the same, I listened to the song, it set my feet tapping in spite of (or possibly because of) the monotonous beat and the lack of musicality. I don't suppose I understand at all what I'm talking about here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that tune about my home city - plus by coincidence have just bought "Reading Lolita..." to read on sale in a Boston bookshop...Greetings from a very cold and icy Boston...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha! yeah, i'm gonna go ahead and say that al gore was indeed taking note.

    and i've learned a new word: erstwhile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning Cuban.

    Twenty-seven years ago will put the song into the early 80s, but I don't know the group or the song. I can hear some familiar 80s tune in the music though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "London Calling" has always been a favorite of mine and I've always liked the Clash's special blend of ska and punk. Don't know if Al Gore has considered their eco statement but its a funny point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always think of this song when I stay in the flat in London, as it's next to the Thames and there's the line about living next to the river. Great song and great band.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many thanks for your kind words.

    Friko, you had me in stitches. I take it that The Buzzcocks and The Ramones will not make it to your CDs wishlist this year, then. :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still one of my favourite albums. I may have failed to musically evolve!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooo!!! One of my favorite bands, albums and songs of all time! I loved them back in the day, and I love them just as much now.
    They were incredibly influential on so many other bands and musicians through the years and were ground breaking at the time as well.
    Take care, and thanks for covering a tried and true fave!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many thanks for your kind feedback.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...